In 2020, cybersecurity has become a major cause of concern for organizations around the planet.
Every year, the danger continues to grow. New threats emerge to cause businesses to lose billions of dollars—and virtually every industry is finding itself under attack.
Which means, it's never been more important to have a sound security posture in place.
But how do you get there?
How do you know what type of protection your organization needs? And what will happen if you don’t have the right line of defense?
We wanted to answer those questions and more, which is why Arctic Wolf has developed the 2020 Security Strategy Playbook.
Filled with actionable information you can start implementing in your organization, we wanted to give you a look what to expect. For more information, simply download the full guide.
Tip 1: Go Beyond Vulnerability Management with Rapid Containment
Assessing risks and managing vulnerabilities will help reduce your attack surface. But no cybersecurity solution will ever eliminate the possibility of threats getting into your environment. That’s why rapidly containing a threat is critical. The longer it takes you to mitigate, the higher the likelihood a security incident turns into a full-blown data breach.
- Monitor your environment 24x7 using not just technology but also human analysts, so your team can act as soon as it identifies indicators of compromise.
- Implement containment workflows and playbooks to increase the speed and efficiency of your response.
- Block data exfiltration attempts and the spread of malware with host-based containment.
Tip 2: Bolster Defenses With Hybrid Artificial Intelligence And Machine Learning
The hype around artificial intelligence and machine learning has reached a point where every vendor tries to find ways to eliminate the human element. That’s understandable. After all, humans make mistakes and can only solve problems at human speed.
But before you adopt AI-based solutions, it’s important to understand the limitations of artificial intelligence and machine learning:
- Unlike humans, AI can process vast amounts of data fast. However, it’s not sophisticated enough and doesn’t have the same level of intuition to make decisions that require human intelligence.
- AI-driven solutions can identify anomalous patterns to find threats, but there’s still the risk of false positives. As a result, you can’t rely on AI alone.
- Since machine learning depends on algorithms, the systems need to be continuously fine- tuned as new threats emerge.
- Hybrid artificial intelligence— meaning human- augmented machine learning—combines human intelligence and machine-scale performance. Look for ways to leverage hybrid AI for faster threat detection and response, and for overall improved efficiency.
Tip 3: Close the Visibility Gap with Continuous Risk Assessments
Visibility across the entire environment is a fundamental part of a security strategy—and a constant struggle at the same time. The most effective strategy to eliminate the visibility gap is to conduct risk assessments that identify vulnerabilities and help prioritize mitigation.
- Risk assessments should address not only the technology and the environment (network, devices, etc.), but also your people and processes.
- Since risks change dynamically, perform risk assessments continuously rather than at intermittent intervals.
- To help improve your security posture, risk assessments should include easy-to-consume reports for your key stakeholders and a unified dashboard that consolidates your entire cyber risk.
Filled with 12 pages of insight and information, the 2020 Security Strategy Playbook will help you quickly improve your organization's posture for this year and beyond.